Thursday, July 31, 2008

About Me

About Me:
In truth, I think “About Mes” should be reserved for elected official-types and those running for public office. I never know what to say without sounding like some terrible narcissist, which I may be, but to which I am in serious denial. I hate the thought of having to write a page or even a paragraph about why I’m cool enough for you to take an interest in me. I never know what to say that might be interesting enough for the person reading it to want to know more. I, personally, can’t imagine my life being that fascinating. But, I recognize that that human curiosity abounds and someone, somewhere in the world does actually want to know something about me that only I can tell them. Even though I am not entirely convinced that I’ve done anything worthy of a biography (auto- or otherwise), I have to admit, I’ve thought long and hard about my memoirs.

So, here’s my disclaimer:
Due to some attack of conscience seasoned heavily with the bastard love-child of humility and self-deprecation, I feel guilty for pontificating about what it is about me that makes me special enough for you to be curious about my life. To lessen the blow, I’ll stick to the truth as best I can, and I will gladly let you be the judge.
I am an artist, which is to say, I believe in art. I believe in art in all mediums is what ultimately fuels me as a carbon-based (allegedly) rational human being. Perhaps it’s more appropriate to say I fancy myself an artist. I read once that “Creativity is a marvelous third eye that floats free’ and I find that to be overwhelmingly true and equally well-said. I think that art and creation are the only ways we can leave a lasting legacy and I believe that ability lies in every person who is ever and will ever be born. A dear friend of mine once said, “All art is a celebration,” and I have yet to hear anything so true as this. Art has the ability to serve as a life force, if it is allowed to do so---and as far as I’m concerned, it is. I believe in art.
Occupationally, I am a model, which somehow simultaneously bows to the fickle nature of our culture and the appreciation of the body as both a piece of art and a tool to create it. Ah, the wonder of the point of view… I am in the process of earning a degree in theatre, with a concentration in performance, because (like so many before) I believe I was meant for the stage. I also write (as you may have been able to infer), make music, paint, draw, and think. These are my great arts, and as I immerse myself deeper into various mediums of creation and expression, the list will undoubtedly grow. I am an ex-vegan, but only because I enjoy cheese with my wine. I eat vegetables from the garden in my backyard and I enjoy the taste of soymilk. I enjoy taking pictures. I like swimming very much. I prefer being barefoot to wearing shoes and I like being in the rain. I stay up late, even though when the sun goes down, I become loopy and hard to understand—almost as if I have some kind of nocturnal ADHD.
I want to go to outer space, but I don’t think I have the patience for all that pesky astronaut/cosmonaut training. If someone wanted to smuggle me into outer space…well, they would be on the receiving end of one hell of a thank-you card.
One thing I never want to do is limit myself. With the whole world at my fingertips, what would be the point? I want to grow and learn and become everything. I want to connect to the soul of the world and I want to tap into the creative well that overflows with a mass consciousness of artistic process. I want to write and draw and paint, because sometimes they are easier than speaking. I want to sing and dance and laugh, because I want to be a voice for the creative good.
If I were stranded on a desert island with the option of food or music, it would be a moment before I could answer with certainty, because music is just as much sustenance to me as food. At the risk of sounding dramatic, I need it in my life.
I’m probably a pretty normal person. I can’t say for sure, because what is “normal” anyway? But I slip in dog poop in my yard just like everyone else, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

But enough about me, tell me about you.

No comments:

Formspring.me

curious?

My photo
Model citizen. Badass.

Followers

Networked Blog Followers