Sunday, April 11, 2010

Johnathan Kayne S/S2010 Collection: Show Day 3 or, Fashion Camp.

We have one day left of Johnathan's show. I haven't spent time with everyone, but there are definitely some cool girls there. Like most fashion shows, It's a really eclectic group of girls and everyone's got their something, you know? I don't normally spend a lot of time with girls, since my closest friends are comprised of a group of 1 girl, 6 guys, and a baby girl, my family and a few bookclub hipster-types I only see every couple of months for a few days at a time.

It reminds me of camp a little bit. You remember camp? Going away to spend a week with random kids your age whose parents were also being driven crazy. But despite the vast differences,  you still had something in common other than the fact that you all drove their parents crazy enough to want you gone for a week, two, or the whole summer.

I guess this is fashion camp and we're only together for 4 days. Of course, a lot of the models knew each other beforehand. I didn't really know anyone but the twins and Danielle.

I'm learning a lot by just watching people work. That's one of my favorite things about shows that run multiple times. There is always room to improve on your performance and I'm going to take every single chance I get to improve. I mean, if they're just giving away the chance to get better, what the hell? Am I right?

The show has been going well. For the most part, everyone seems happy with it. I've seen some video, but I'll save my critique for after the final run in case I fall on my ass when I hit the runway tomorrow.

Tomorrow, we'll also be finding out who of us made it to the Top 10 and who will be the winner of the American Ego model search.You kind of can't help but be excited, you know?

I mean, I have a lot of Buddhist thoughts on competition. I have a lot of Buddhist thoughts on everything, really and not to mention...I mean, just being a woman is a competitive sport, all by itself, so I try not to heap any more of that onto my psyche than I need, but it's the nature of the industry. No matter how good you may be, there is ALWAYS someone at least as good, if not better. It's just how it works. It's a fickle thing, but I can't get enough (explains my choice in men, lol).

And we are, by far our own harshest critics. Oftentimes, I think, for no reason since so many people out there are haters, already.

2 comments:

Danielle Dobbs said...

I completely agree with you about the camp analogue. I really don't have a lot of girl friends and it kind of makes me a bit timid walking into the crowd I did yesterday. I hope you win today!

P.S. your walk is awesome!

jenn said...

Thank you! I read your blog and I hope your experience was good overall. You know how catty some girls can be. I say, let the haters hate and do your thing because you're beautiful and amazing and I LOVE working with you.

I didn't win, but I was one of the finalists, so that's something :)
I'm okay with that, though. It's enough for me just to get to wear a pretty dress on the runway.

I hope I see you again soon!

Formspring.me

curious?

My photo
Model citizen. Badass.

Followers

Networked Blog Followers