Friday, May 7, 2010

aftermath of the flood: one week later

most everyone is still reeling from the flood last weekend. it's still weighing heavy on everyone's minds and life, for a lot of people, has come to a stand still until further notice. the whole thing is still so surreal. the water has receded, but the billions and billions of dollars of damage and the lives lost and the...immensity of it kind of rockets you into a somber reality.

so, we're rebuilding and volunteering and its really inspiring to see so many people band together in such a no-bullshit kind of way. for the last few days, we've been going to neighborhoods that were hit hard. we just start at the end of the street and move down door-to-door, moving debris, looking for animals.

Everyone rallied together so quickly. It immediately became about helping your neighbors and getting stuff worked out. It was really inspiring.

I'm so inspired by it, as a matter of fact, that I'm lobbying hard for the proceeds of the Look Book to benefit victims of the flood. I'll let you know what the board thinks about it...

go here to read my tumbls from last week if you need a humorous recap of the events. or go here for my tweets, if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're interested in volunteering and you're in or around or plan to be in the Nashville area, get in touch with those amazing people at Hands On Nashville and they'll get you all squared away.
http://www.hon.org

Or, if you want to make a $10 donation, you can text 'REDCROSS' to 90999 www.redcross.org -or- to give to the Metro Restore the Dream fund text 'RESTORE' to UNITED (864833)http://youtube/4FH8Dtz4TmU 

And I'm seeing a lot of terrifying mold growing, too. If you know me, you know I'm having a hard time with that.

I've got some work lined up. I'm shooting with Jermaine for the Collective and he's got some really cool references for the concept.
See? So, something fun is on its way, and I, for one, am glad. Basically, my entire week was canceled because of the flood, so I'm eager to get back to work This also means I get to go shopping and well...

Plus, Athena and I have been working on a small collaborative line of reconstructs for Legacy. I think we're going to be calling it "Dirt" and I think it's going to be a hit. There will be a lot of great pieces for me to wear to Bonnaroo. Hell yes. Next, I'll need to work out a shoot with that and I already basically have an an excellent idea and everything seems like its going to fall into place nicely.

I'm glad. I'm no good when I'm bored.

I'm also waiting for some photos from a shoot I did for Salon Exhale. I can't wait for those. That was a fun day.

I've been learning about construction and brushing up on my sewing and basic design skills lately. I think I want to try and release a specialty fall collection in the next couple of months. I'm all about rallying the cause.

I've got a lot of ideas bouncing around in my head.

Geez, what an exciting time to be alive!?!

No comments:

Formspring.me

curious?

My photo
Model citizen. Badass.

Followers

Networked Blog Followers